Friday, September 16, 2005

My dog talks to me, sort of.

I was accused of being insane earlier. Yes, this has happened before, for various reasons, and if it makes anyone feel better, I've never been accused of being insane by a professional. However, someone overheard me supplying my dog with a voice. (No, I am not drunk, nor was I drunk when this happened.) When I talk to my dog, for example, "Want to go outside?", I will sometimes reply to myself, "Let's go find a good tree, Bobby, and hurry up about it." The reply is from my dog to me, and I am pretty confident I voice my dog's opinions pretty accurately. However, this time, someone overheard me, and the conversation was a few sentences longer than my example about the tree, and the person, who also owns a dog, said I was insane. Not for talking to my dog, which they found perfectly acceptable, but for replying for him.

So now, to prove my point, or to convince me to seek professional help, I am asking you all, do you ever do this? My dog says this is perfectly acceptable, and sees nothing wrong with it. In fact, he was a little pissed that my sanity was questioned, and wanted me to tell this person to do something along the lines of shoving something up their butt, but I did restrain myself from articulating that particular thought.

So, my dog and I anxiously await your thoughts on the matter. I am going to read some blogs while I wait for your comments, and my dog will be making prank calls to the neighbors.

9 comments:

LBseahag said...

Jinx said today that he was gonna kill me next time I leave him alone for a week without letting the facuet drip...
look at davey and goliath...that doggie not only spoke, he had a conscience...damn, he was a tattle tale.....

Dave Morris said...

I do this ALL the time. Well, not ALL the time, but uh, a lot of the time. Okay, almost never, but anyway. Sometimes.

When a big noise outside startles my dog, I'll say things like "JEEZUS Dave, what the hell was that about?"

Or, "hey Dave, I really need to cop a squat. Any chance you can use your opposable thumbs and get this door knob for me? I need to unleash a coiled perfume snake."

We're all a little mentally sick.

Doggie Extraordinaire's Mom said...

OH DEAR DOG, you need to read my post! It's uncanny. Are we sharing a brain?

If so, you can have it for the weekend. I'm planning on having a sleepfest.

Bobby said...

Whew. I love the fact that we are all a bit insane, in a wonderful sort of way.

And for those of you who haven't ventured over there yet, please go read Librarian's post from today. I laughed my ass off.

Have a great weekend all, I have to go to bed now, my dog says it is past my bedtime.

Spinning Girl said...

Don't feel too bad; I do this with the clothes in my closet, as in, "pick me! pick me!". I don't have a pet.

kris said...

I think Patsy's comment clearly takes the cake! We all do this. And people who deny it are liars, cheats, and ne'er-do-wells.

Sherri Sanders said...

yes, I do the conversation thing as well. Only, I probably am crazy, because I end up having conversations with myself. "So, should I stop at the store before I go to the gas station?" "No, if I always end up buying more then I want to at the store, I'd better go the the gas station first." (ex. from last nights trip to town. BTW - I forgot to stop at the store altogether! LOL)

Bobby said...

Thanks to all. I will now be settling all arguments, bets, etc. on my blog. (Not because I won this time, really.)

And the free drink I will win for this, I will sip a little for all of you.

Serena said...

wrap your head around this one:
I don't have pets-- but I will have conversations back and forth with unanimate objects:
---"Serena, you realize that by plugging me into that outlet-- with the five other plugs already there, you risk shorting it out...or worse"
--"Mmmwwwaaaahhhaaaa! You, dear plug, have discovered my evil plan! Prepare to die!"
---Noooooooo! Dear God, save me!"
(you get the idea)
But there are times when I will talk directly to myself and that just weirds me out. I then quickly voice my concern through a nearby stuffed animal or perhaps, toothbrush, that I am going crazy and must stop that (i.e. talking to myself) at once.

Also, the voice I give other things is always the same: Mr. Bill's Voice.