Wednesday, September 14, 2005

I had trouble getting to Solla Sollew

"Then new troubles came.
From above!
And below!
A Skritz at my neck!
Amd a Skrink at my toe!
And now I was really in trouble, you know.
The rocks! And the Quail!
And the Skritz! And the Skrink!
I had so many troubles, I just couldn't think!

That is a very accurate description of my life right now, which I am sure I will be expanding on in the upcoming days and weeks. But stay with me, dear readers. This is a bourbon enhanced post, but it is totally relevant and also, I would like to think, insightful.

If you've never read "I had trouble in getting to Solla Sollew", by Dr. Seuss, I highly suggest going and doing so. And if it is hidden away in your children's bookcase, dig it out, and read it to yourself. It is written in his traditional style, mainly for children, but this book has a deeper message to it. (Okay, maybe not totally deep, but deep.)

There are troubles all around, for example, (and this will test to see how far people read), having your job eliminated, and sometimes when those troubles come along, you want to go somewhere else, in the hope that things will be better if you can just be somewhere different. The urge can be small, and it can be overwhelming. I don't want to ruin the ending for you, but it fits so nicely with my post here:

I know I'll have troubles.
But I've brought a big bat.
I'm all ready, you see.
Now my troubles are going
To have troubles with me!


So I got the message, loud and clear. I just need to find my big bat, and I'll be ready to go. I'm not sure what it is yet, but I'll find it, and then my troubles will have some big troubles with me.

14 comments:

Spinning Girl said...

This is great. I never even heard of this story. I'll be thinking of you ... and ... your bat.

Hypersonic said...

Hnad that bat around.

Oh, good blog too.

DaMasta said...

I speak loudly AND carry a big stick!

Dave Morris said...

Hang in there... you'll get things worked out.

Dr. Seuss is (was) wise beyond his books.

LBseahag said...

MAke sure the bat matches the hat...I hear brown is the new black this season ;)

babyjewels said...

and they say violence doesn't solve anything.

kris said...

I had never heard of this story, either. You bring us great things, Bobby. I mean it!

Bobby said...

Warning: This comment is not witty or funny and may contain a bit of me getting all emotional.

Thank you, all of you, for your warm wishes, in both the comments, and emails. It has truly meant a lot. And just to show you, we were trying to get some help with something from some of our friends, and everyone had an excuse, or something else to do, and some random guy trimming the yard at our apartment place helped us out. We had never seen him before.

I know this whole blog thing is anonymous, but I consider you my friends, and wish you well in return.

Wow. On the bright side, my job hunt should provide some GREAT blog entries.

LBseahag said...

:*
there is no other person on the web that i would rather blow kisses at.

ghartstein said...

Best of LUck! I've been there before and know the feeling.

Now, speaking of Seuss...did you ever wonder how he was buried?

Did they put him in a box?
Did they cover him with rocks?
Is he buried in the ground?
Or Sprinkled over Puget Sound?

And while not on the bourbon, this is definitely an enhanced comment...hope it didn't jump the shark!

Bobby said...

LB, once again, the feeling is mutual.

Mr g. thanks, and I think I will partake of some of that enhancement this weekend. And I liked your burial poem.

Serena said...

*sends pints of guiness and the luck o' the Irish from Waterford County*

There is nothing like a trial to reveal the true depths of someone's friendships :(

I am glad to hear Justin is doing okay-- if not crabby.

babyjewels said...

Bobby, I was just checking in. Your comments are so awesome. Be well.

Sherri Sanders said...

Hang in there Bobby! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you.