Saturday, November 26, 2005

Manic Musings


*Overheard, parent on the phone with their child: "If you don't behave, I won't be paying you when I get home!" Times have certainly changed a lot from "If you don't behave, you're going to get a whuppin when I get home." Sad.

*There are some jobs you just shouldn't complain about while doing it. For example, a nurse called for help in front of the patient, and when the second nurse came in, she actually said, "you need help with that? I have more important things to do." Wow, that is some compassion there. And the patient was awake, not in a coma or anything. And the patient had family right there to overhear as well. Family that may have slit the stupid nurse's tires on their way out that evening. I didn't say they did, just that they may have, or could have.

*I wrote my birth father a really long email, detailing recent events in my life, (most of which you know about already, being faithful readers here), and really put some time into the email. Almost a week later, I got the following heartfelt response, "Sorry to hear about all of that. We're all okay here." That was meaningful, I printed a copy of the email, framed it, and hung it proudly in the trophy room. (And there's a future post about why I used the term "birth father", but I don't feel like going into it right now. I am still too excited about his wonderful email reply.)

*Why can I pour the water into the coffee maker without spilling a drop, but I can't pour the coffee into a cup without spilling it?

*Some friends of ours paid someone to carve out gourds, to serve soup in. Nice, huh? Very Martha-ish. They paid sixty bucks a gourd for eight people. We offered to do it for 50 next time they want to have that done. Those same friends had us make some "candy trees" to take home with us, similar to the ones in the picture. Due to a large amount of bourbon, I had fun. I don't think I would ever go to a party and make a candy tree without liquor though. In addition, the push pins used to attach the candy got more fun the drunker everyone got. My fingers hurt a little today.

And finally, *Some posts in a blog are just lamer than others.

12 comments:

Spinning Girl said...

I love reading stuff like this. Everytime you post, I like you just a little bit more.

Doggie Extraordinaire's Mom said...

I agree, your posts really make me feel like Bobby should rule the world.
*A sperm donor should never qualify someone for the title "Father."
*Candy trees can easily be made into candy phalluses, even without alcohol.
*Some nurses work too closely with doctors and forget what being human means.
*Coffee shakes increase the closer you are to getting that ambrosia.
*There are professional gourd-carvers? Everying's so f'ing specialized these days! You can't just be a vegetable-carver anymore.
*And kids are spoiled way too much -- we all know that!
Great post, btw.

Sherri Sanders said...

yes, I totally concur, great post. As for the gourd carving, I think it is totally insane to pay someone that much money to carve a gourd. Yikes! It can't be that hard, but, then again, I've never carved a gourd.

Dani said...

Geez bobby... didn't you know that men are no good at the communication? You pour your heart out to a man and he scratches his balls and says, "Yeah, umm... sucks, huh?"

And not defending the nurse, but I'll bet her attitude had way more to do with Nurse #1 than it did with either the patient or her job.

Tell your friends I'll do it for $40.

babyjewels said...

I love these sort of life observations, re: people on the phone or at work. Your birth dad, I don't think you could have handled it better or with more humor.

Please tell me I'm reading this wrong $60 per gourd? Did it come with the soup, not that that really makes it more reasonable.

LBseahag said...

When there's no getting over that rainbow. When the smallest of dreams don't come true. I can take all the madness the world has to give. But I won't last a day without you...

The Carpenters always soothe :)

Spinning Girl said...

I was just at another blog and my word-ver was "udisvv".

I don't mean to dis you, man, I was just reading another blog for a little while. Do you feel dissed by me? You know you're in the top 3, right?

Hold my hand.

Bobby said...

Librarian, I've always felt the world would be a better place if I ruled it. Compassionately, but firmly.

Sherri, yes, totally insane. But if you could find enough clients, you could live a nice life doing it.

Jo, yes, men aren't always the best at that talking stuff. And your offer of $40 is why I didn't post their names, as they have agreed to our 50 dollar offer, heh heh.

BabyJ, thanks, and the soup was NOT included in the price. Amazing, huh?

Motherdear, wow, that's awesome. And thanks to DUFF, who apparently nominated me. I will be following with close attention.

LB, those words were perfect and moved me. really.

SG, I could never feel dissed by you darlin. Remember that I flock to you, every flocking day.

LBseahag said...

hey! and you are up for an award!
Here!

ghartstein said...

Maybe some folks are just less expressive than others....eh, what the hell do I know.

Kristi said...

$60 a gourd??? Sign me up! We sell gourds on our farm for 50 cents apiece. I'm sure I could whittle something for the extra $59.50.

I never spill the coffee, always the water. I'm surprised there is not a blog quiz for that!

I'm glad to hear about the correspondence with your birth father. I have been a sporadic reader for a few months, so I will have to look up the posts. When was it?

Ritmeyer said...

You can pour the water in the coffee maker without spilling a drop! :Jealous: