Friday, November 18, 2005

Let it snow, let it snow, let it.. oh screw it.

Bringing this week of complaining to an end, and to celebrate the winter weather arriving, I typed in my written journal from a few years ago, when I first moved to Virginia from Texas. Yes, a drastic difference as you will see.


January 10
It's 5 p.m. It's starting to snow. The first of the season and the first one I have seen in years. I took my bottle of bourbon and sat by the picture window. Watching the snowflakes drift down, clinging to the trees and covering the ground. It was so pristine and beautiful. I love it.

January 11
I awoke to a lovely blanket of crystal white snow covering the landscape. What a fantastic sight. Every tree and shrub covered by a beautiful white mantle. I shoveled snow for the first time in years and loved it. I did both the driveway and the sidewalk. Later, a city snowplow came along and accidentally covered up our driveway with compacted snow from the street. The driver smiled and waved. I waved back and shoveled it again.

January 12
It snowed an additional 5 inches last night and the temperature dropped to about 11 degrees. Several limbs on the trees and shrubs snapped due to the weight of the snow. I shoveled the driveway again. Shortly afterwards, the snowplow came by and pulled his trick again. Now, much of the snow is brownish gray.


January 13
It warmed up enough during the day to create some slush that soon became ice when the temperature dropped again. Bought snow tires for the car. Fell on my ass in the driveway. $145 to a chiropractor, but nothing was broken. More snow and ice expected.


January 14
Still cold as hell. Had another 11 inches of the white shit last night. More shoveling in store for me today. My vehicle covered in salt and crud. Bought a sled in order to get to work. Slid into the guardrail anyway and did a considerable amount of damage to the right rear quarter panel. That damn snowplow came my twice today.

January 15
It's 2 fucking degrees outside. More fucking snow. Not a tree or shrub on my property that hasn't been damaged. Power was off most of the night. Tried to keep from freezing to death with candles and a kerosene heater, which tipped over and nearly burned the fucking house down. I managed to put the flames out, but suffered 2nd degree burns on my hands and I lost all of my eyelashes and eyebrows. The car slid off the road on the way to the emergency room and was totaled.

January 16
Mother fucking damn white shit keeps on coming down. Have to put on all the clothes I own just to get to the fucking mailbox. If I ever catch that son of a bitch that drives the snowplow, I'll draw open his chest and rip his heart out. I think he hides around the corner and waits till I shovel my driveway again! Power is still off. Toilet froze and part of the roof started to cave in.

January 17
Six damn more fucking inches of fucking snow and fucking sleet and fucking ice and no telling what other kind of white fucking shit fell last night. I wounded the fucking snowplow asshole with an ice axe, but he got away. Car won't start. I think I am going snow blind. I can't feel my fucking toes. Haven't seen the sun in weeks. More white shit predicted. Wind chill is -22 fucking degrees below zero. I'm moving my ass back to Texas.

----------------
As we all know, I didn't move back to Texas, but my attitude hasn't changed much each winter. The first snow is wonderful, for a day or so, and then it gets old. Fast.

Happy winter everyone. Cold weather means lots of good blogging time.

15 comments:

LBseahag said...

Hope it keeps snowing, if it means we will get more outta you...

But damn, that snow sucks...what a change from TX, huh...

Ritmeyer said...

Ah yes, the winter "gives you bipolar symptoms" blues. I get this my friend and I have always lived in a place that has four season. The first snow is beautiful, especially from my window while sitting on my couch with a blanket and my husband keeping me warm. The minute I get cold/splip and fall/car warm up I hate mother f*ing snow!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for that. I'm here in the desert feeling sorry for myself because I won't see any snow.

Not anymore.

Bobby said...

LB, definately a big change. And not a good one.

Rit, at least you have your husband to keep you warm. I didn't have that when I wrote this,

Sugarhi, dont feel bad. I was a little behind on reading you, and caught up and felt better. :)

Lightning BB, poor desert dweller. With global warming, maybe you will see some soon.

Serena said...

LOL!


I slipped on a patch of ice while out running today...I hate winter. I hate winter.

madge said...

Let's make a deal:

I will trade Florida for all of your winters.

Really.
It's yours.
You can have it...

ghartstein said...

Yeah, it was like down around 50 degrees this AM and I had to put on a jacket. I don't know how I put up with this cold weather here, but aside from that, LA's not such a bad place....

Spinning Girl said...

Time for pumpkin soup!!!

Steve said...

Ha yes! Exactly how I feel about snow. Especially shoveling.

kris said...

I especially love shoveling/walking in the dark - you know - the dark that comes right around 3 o'clock in the afternoon every day and doesn't lift until 8 in the morning. That part is particularly stellar.

Bobby said...

Serena, I don't care for running much, but no way am I running while it is cold and/or icy. yuck.

Madge, I thought the same thing when moving here from Texas. (I hadn't seen snow except for like three times in my life....) but I think I have changed my mind.

MR. G, bastard. :)

Spinning, yes, that certainly looks good. send some my way.

Steve, I actually moved to where I wouldn't have to shovel, except maybe shoveling my car out of the snow. but no more driveways or sidewalks for me....

Kris, yes, the diminished daylight certainly helps us all enjoy the ice and snow even more. argh.

jamwall said...

how did you get a hold of my journal??????

Bobby said...

Jam, sorry, I needed someone new to stalk, and well, the cowbell did it for me, so.....

Hale McKay said...

I can relate to this. I have been in Boston since 1968 and we get more snow in single snowfalls than I used to see in an entire winter back in Clendenin, W.Va. After all these years, I still cannot get used to it.
...I am casting my vote for this post as best post.

Bobby said...

thanks Hale! And sorry about the snow, it never seems to get any easier.