Monday, November 14, 2005

Is this a cigarette which I see before me?


Here's the link to the article if you really want to read it, but I will rant about it enough here so you probably won't have to. During a performance of a play, where the play calls for someone to smoke, an audience member actually shouted for them to put the cigarette out. (Because it's against the law to smoke in a public place.) I barely know where to start...
Who is uncouth enough to actually shout during a performance of a play? If it was a performance artist piece where someone is actually being hurt, sure. But a cigarette, during a play that the smoking is part of the play? No. Give me a break. You give the anti-smokers a little room, and look what happens. Before everyone starts in on me, I am the most polite smoker you will ever meet. I won't smoke in someone's house, even a smoker's house, without asking. I watch where my second hand smoke goes, (usually towards the non-smoker, and I am careful), I won't smoke around kids, etc. It comes to a point, though, where you just need to let me smoke, dammit. Some places are trying to ban smoking in cars (on the grounds it is distracting), and I will certainly concede the point if they outlaw cell phones, eating, radios, DVD players, etc, first. Until then, stay out of my car. And I will smoke in my house, even if they end up making it illegal. There are so many things we should be focusing on other than this, yes, we all know smoking is bad for you, thank you. So are fatty foods, alcohol, fast cars. and hunting while drunk. So let's move on, feel sorry for the smokers if you would like to and if it will make you feel better, but leave them alone. And certainly, never, ever, shout out to an actor to stop smoking during a live performance of a play. Geez.


On a brighter note, Justin's dad got out of the hospital this morning, and seems well on the road to recovery again. Thanks all, for the emails and comments of support.

13 comments:

Bobby said...

Okay, so usually, I post about something that is pissing me off, and I feel better. But i just saw a follow up where they are altering the play so that the actor doesn't smoke. This ticks me off as much as when they replaced the guns in E.T.

Morons.

Kristi said...

WTF? I am a former smoker by necessity and all this smoking ban bs is beginning to piss me off!

Glad to here everything is well!

Doggie Extraordinaire's Mom said...

Good to hear about Justin's dad.

As a person with weakened lungs from an immune disorder, and as someone who has lost two grandparents and a father to lung cancer, I really think this whole no smoking effort is getting out of hand. I appreciate couteous smokers like you, and if someone isn't courteous, I avoid them. Simple. One actor smoking in a play, relevant to the play itself, is not something to interrupt the play over! Nice manners!

The only thing that pisses me off more than non-smokers preaching to smokers are the people who have lost 100 lbs., preaching to anyone ½-pound overweight about their need to lose weight. Same thing with religious nuts. What's with the self-appointed preachers? We all know they're just miserable because they want what we gleefully allow ourselves to enjoy.

DaMasta said...

I'm an angry smoker. They're lucky we can't smoke at work anymore, because I certainly would. My benefits are more expensive because I smoke. What about people with diabetes? What about people with prostate cancer in their family history? What about people with who already have a sickness that is now being carried over to our insurance?

Monkey said...

They replaced the guns in ET? What??

The moron shouting out in the middle of the performance needs a lesson in attending the theater. Can you imagine "A Streetcar Named Desire" without smoking?

I too get headaches from cig. smoke, but good lord! It was a play!

Sorry... I just got fired up.

LBseahag said...

Glad to hear about Justin's dad..


The other day at the airport in Detroit, a bitch walked right through my cloud of exhaled smoke, and broke into a fake, dramatic coughing fit...

She could've walked around me...there was plenty of room...

I retaliated by giving her the bird...her boyfriend was really embarrased by her behavior...
I should've tried to steal him...

All I have to say, is its a free country...if non-smokers dont like it today, be glad its not like it was in the 1930-1970s! they smoked more and everywhere!

ghartstein said...

Happy to hear Dad's better!

Gotta say, I'm no fan of (cigarette) smoking, but this politically correct crap is pissing me off to no end! It's fucking art! Would you force the Italian govenment to cover David? (Some probably would!) Perhaps next we could hire psychics...you know, like the thought police in so many science fiction stories -like Babylon 5's Psy Corps. They could tell us all sorts of preventative measures to keep everyone safe from everyone else. Hell, let's just pad all the walls and dress everyone in chain mail! Damn, what do I really think?

All I really care about on the smoking issue is that it's out of my face...unless of course it smells like a skunk...

kris said...

I could freak out on this person. GIVE ME AN EFFIN BREAK!

I LOVE your news about Justin's dad. Bloggers' positive thoughts are apparently very powerful! ;)

Spinning Girl said...

YEAH! Get your laws off my body! Or...something...

Ritmeyer said...

I am sick of all this non smoking crap. As you know, I have been smoke free for almost 4 weeks. But this shit has got to stop! They we trying to outlaw smoking (well, they did) in many counties in St. Louis, in bars etc. This is against personal property rights. You know what, I need to stop because I can go on and on. Bottom line is, I hate this arguement:
Smoker: I'm not hurting anyone
Non-smoker: Yes you are, the 2nd hand smoke

My problem with this is that others have many habits that are harmful to others. Drinkers-drunk driving and killing or injuring me; hitting on me and making me feel threatened physically; breath can be henious; pollutes my ears with bad singing; the list goes on and on.

Thump, sorry I made such a noise when I leap from my soap box.

madge said...

I don't smoke, but trust me...I so hear you.

I'm just really shocked this happened in Italy, but I see they've banned smoking in public places...

Before I read the linked article, I was visualizing a dodo American doing the shouting.

Ah...what's the world coming to?!

Serena said...

I award you 20 pts. for using the word uncouth in a posting

*she writes in the haze of second hand smoke that is France*

Bobby said...

Thanks for mostly agreeing with me, in the cause of common sense and decency, if not the actual smoking.

And Serena, thanks for the 20 points. I've been saving lately and I am sure to be able to redeem a prize soon.