Friday, February 13, 2009

Everyone loves... uh. sporting goods?

Strolling down memory lane.....

MY ex and I stressed to figure out one year what to give his dad for his birthday. His dad had made mention, as good parents will, that he wanted some stuff at Dick's Sporting Goods. He wouldn't mention what stuff, hence, hinting for a gift certificate.

We were more than happy to oblige. I am a big fan of gift certificates, despite people saying they are sentimental enough. I have enough sentiment in my life, give me more gift certificates dammit.

Anyway, back to the stroll.....

At his dad's birthday party, his dad opens gift number two, not from us, and gets, a gift certificate from Dick's Sporting Goods. My ex and I look at each other with a "oh well, great minds think alike" look.

Gift number 4 is, yep, a gift certificate for Dick's sporting goods. My ex and I think, great, now we're going to look really original, and why oh why didn't we get him to open our card first. At least we got him a card, the other two gift cards were just in a little Dick's sporting goods envelope. We rock.

X-Dad, mentions that he can use both certificates to buy something better now.

So, gift number six, us, he opens the card, reads it, and announces he got another gift certificate to Dick's Sporting Goods. My ex, ever so lame, apologizes, but X-Dad, being awesome, looks sincerely at the both of us, and says,

"That's okay, because you can NEVER get enough Dick's."

Wow. We didn't laugh. At least right then. But we laughed for weeks. And quoted him for weeks. Because, know it or not, it was the best thing a dad could ever have said to his gay son and partner.

And you know what? You really can't ever get enough Dick's.

2 comments:

Bobby said...

By the way, since this post contains the word love, it counts as my Valentine's Day post.

The first one in over 8 years single, so I will be loving Jack Daniels tomorrow night.

Happy Villain said...

That's awesome. Too bad you couldn't keep the family and get rid of the ex.

I hope your Valentine's Day went well...if you remember it. :)