Saturday, February 07, 2009

nicknames

Ok, i understand if you are going to fly on a plane, your name on your i.d. should match the name on the ticket. Fine. that's all good. However, things have gotten a little out of hand...

First, if you look at my profile, you see my name is Bobby. You might then conclude that Bobby is not on my birth certificate, or id, it's probably Robert. Bobby, being short for Robert, as in Rob, Robby, Bob, Roberto, etc.

Well, to make things a little more difficult for the idiots in the world, Robert is actually my middle name, however, before you read the next paragraph and even start to feel sorry for the idiots mentioned, Robert IS listed on my id, fully.

So.... I went to cash a check from my aunt, who for thirty something years, has written me birthday and Christmas checks to "Bobby", since that's my name.

My bank, however, decided they can't deposit it, because it's not my name.

I explained that Bobby is a nickname, derived from Robert.

They kindly pointed out Robert is not my legal name.

I rudely pointed out that Robert is my legal MIDDLE name.

They then said that if Robert was my first name, that would be different.

Aha! A possible loophole, so I got a manager involved, and filled him in on the story thus far.

He let me know if Robert was my first name, they still wouldn't cash the check.

I asked if the check was made out to Rob, and Robert was my first name, would they cash it. They said no.

I have a hard time believing this.

So, I either have to alter the check to have my first name on it, or ask for a birthday/Christmas check to be rewritten, or give up on it all.

What do Bubba, Liz, Mike, Allie, Greg, etc. do with their checks? Oh yeah, they probably go to a better bank.

3 comments:

duff said...

i go to a relatively small bank, and since i get checks for avon payments that are made out to "duff" and not what's on my driver's license, i simply double sign them- "duff" on the first line, and my real name underneath it.

the bank i used back in kansas city let me add "duff" to my signature card.

either way, i think i would've gotten irritated with your bank and pulled out my money on the spot.....unless they give out really good lollipops or something......

Happy Villain said...

Wow, I've never had any of that trouble at my banks with nickname vs. full name. Not only that but my full name is spelled unusually and all my life I've struggled to get people to spell it correctly, yet the bank has honored every misspelled check I've thrown at them. AND my nickname can be spelled a variety of ways. Banks have taken everything.

I think your bank needs a slap across the face.

Spinning Girl said...

endorse the check, send it to me, I will double endorse and deposit it, and then send you a check made out to you. See? I got your back.